Pages

Thursday, 6 July 2017

June Favourites 2017

"New Month. New Mindset."- Anon
Welcome to my first Monthly Favourites Post! 

I've been enjoying many things this month, but I've narrowed it down to a few key products that I've been using this month. There is a wide range of things which I've been enjoying from books to make up. These things I have chosen I really do love and I must tell you about them!

HERE WE GO!!

What the **** is Normal?
Francesca Martinez
Where to Buy?: Waterstones


This book. This book is absolutely amazing! Francesca Martinez, if you don't know is a comedienne who suffers with cerebral palsy. In this book she explains what it's like to live with the condition. I related to this book so much, being a sufferer of a mild form of cerebral palsy myself, and I felt like I really connected with the author on a personal level because of this. She talks of her insecurities and how her life carries on just like anybody else's while battling her cerebral palsy.

I must say thank you to Francesca for creating a book  that summarises all of the struggles a disabled individual may face within life in such a powerful and comedic way!  Through suffering with a disability myself, I truly understand what it's like to feel the way she felt through being pressured by society to be 'normal' but from this  book I have actually learned that there is no such thing as normal, and that I should take everyday as it comes and stick two fingers up at society's ideals over the word 'normal', because in reality, there is no such thing as normal!

Never have I related more to such an amazing book! I would highly recommend this to you if you are suffering from a disability and feel lonely in the world, because before reading this, I definitely felt like I was the only one suffering in this world, but YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I would also like others to read this who may have preconceptions about those who do suffer from a disability of some form, because I can promise you, living with a disability such as cerebral palsy is definitely not life limiting.

Stabilo Fine liners 10 Pack
Where to Buy?: STABILO.com



I actually received these as a birthday gift from a friend who knew of my addiction to stationery. If you know me, you will know I am a slight stationery hoarder and collector. I really love these fine liners due to the fact that they are extremely good quality and have a 'cap-off ' policy, in which you can leave the caps off for hours and they still work to a high quality. I also love them because of the depth and quality of the ink that is produced. They really do produce a deep colour which I find is perfect to be able to use on an adult colouring book (especially the parts that require attention to detail) as a past art student, I really find the quality of a product such as this to be key for me to be able to splash out on a product such as these.

I've actually ordered another set of these pens and another thing that just drew me towards this product is definitely the price. Now, I'm no millionaire and I don't receive any monetary reward for doing this blog. So if I buy a product it's because I think its a good quality. I'm pleased to inform you that I've just bought a pack of thirty of these fine liners because I love them so much!
I can't have hours of fun to colour with these and to also brush up on the aesthetics of this years revision notes. I would definitely recommend these to any students out there who love to inject a sprinkle of colour into their notes to help them revise.


 Soap & Glory Trio
Where to Buy?: Boots


Again, I received this as a birthday gift from a friend, and was absolutely star struck. I always seem to become star struck when I come across Soap and Glory products because of the fact that the quality of their products is just unbelievable. So this set is rightfully named "All the Right Smoothies". Whenever I'm in a high street drug store, I always find the time to be able to catch a whiff of everything on the bath product stand because of it's what I call ' Lush Store Effect ' where the scents are so strong, they cling to you for hours. My favourite scent over all has to be the sugar crush range because of the almond, coconut and lime scents that remind me of being on a tropical island which is where I'd really rather be right now! If you want to smell like a holiday, the Sugar Crush Range is for you!

I'm always amazed by the packaging of Soap and Glory products because their advertisement team must put so much time into art designs and tag-line like names for products which remind me much of the makeup line of Benefit because of it's 1950's pin-up girl vibe. It's safe to say, I'M IN LOVE.


OH WONDER: OH WONDER (2015)
Where to Buy?: Amazon


Yes, I am aware I've mentioned this previously, but this is definitely an all time favourite album of mine for the last couple of months. Before I actually bought the album I'd been using all my skips on my Spotify, to be able to listen to this album on repeat and streaming the life out of this album! This must be one of the first albums in which I love every single track equally. They are THAT good! For some reason, I do feel like this duo is definitely under-rated because of their lack of tracks in the charts. I do feel as if their quality of music shows through because of the fact that this, as their first album has dropped a whopping fifteen tracks. THAT IS IMPRESSIVE for a debut album.

Their next album: Ultralife is released this month on the 14th of July (I have pre-ordered, of course) I am very excited because I have never liked a band so much to be able to make the effort to pre-order music.

I find this all very strange because I don't think I've had a fangirl period over a band for a long time since around 2008 and the whole JLS obsession. I never really got on the One Direction bandwagon, which is strange because back in the day, I was their target audience (11 year old girls with teeny bopper obsessions).

Lion (2016)
Where to Buy?: Amazon


So, over the last few months the film 'Lion' has had so much reception because of it's success at the Bafta's. Being a fan of films that are a true story, I borrowed the DVD from a friend to jump on the bandwagon and give it a watch.

If you don't know the plot:
"Five year old Saroo gets lost on a train travelling away from his home and family. Frightened and alone, he ends up thousands of miles away, in chaotic Kolkata. Somehow he survives living on the streets and escaping all sorts of terrors before ending up in an orphanage. Eventually Saroo is adopted by an Australian couple and finds love as he grows up in Hobart. As an adult, Saroo hopes of finding his lost mother and brother. Armed with only a handful of memories and his determination, Saroo sets out to find his lost family and return to his first home."

I must say, I was sceptical of this movie because it could be either very good or mediocre. I must warn you if you want to watch this, you MUST invest in boxes and boxes of Kleenex. It is such an emotional story, which will make you cry throughout. Just to say, I was in tears ten minutes into the movie. With a star studded cast including Nicole Kidman this story is a very emotional and also uplifting and is overall INCREDIBLE.

 Dev Patel stars as an adult Saroo, portrays his character with such accuracy and emotion that he definitely deserved more than a Bafta, he needed an Oscar for the performance that he gave as a son who's lost his identity and his birth family.

I hope you've enjoyed my monthly favourites, because I know I have.

QOTD: What products have you been loving this month?

Thanks Guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment